05 November, 2008

History

I saw history last night, probably the most historical moment of my life.

I voted yesterday. For the first time, I actually voted and participated in the system, and my vote counted. I voted for a candidate that I have supported and followed for 4+years, I voted for a mine who has inspired me, and inspired others. Last night, watching the coverage, I found hope again in the political system and the country. I know I'll get flack for this for falling prey to a pretty speaker, but I don't care. A lot has been said and written about how we as a country can elect a black president just a few decades after the civil rights movement. I am proud of that country. I am proud that race wasn't a big issue in the actual vote. I am proud that for once the majority of people looked past their bigotry and elected the man that they thought would do the best job.

We elected a candidate last night who, if nothing else, inspires the crap out of people like few before him. Watching and listening to his victory speech last night, I saw a million people full of emotion, many their eyes filled with tears. At McCain's party there were maybe a 1000 old grumpy white men. I feel that my generations voice is finally being heard. I feel that a candidate that relates to me has finally won. I'm inspired, and I'm excited.

I'm disappointed though, still by the ignorance I hear around me. I expect adults to have a certain degree of intelligence.. What I have heard since last night was how quickly the country was going to go down the drain, how disgusted people were with the new president, how he was an evil man and the anti-christ. I expect this out of my kids, their kids, but I expect better out of adults, and that disappoints me. Is it too much to ask for people to examine the man and his policies and not believe the propaganda. God forbid we elect a man who's middle name is Hussein, he hast to be a terrorist. God forbid we elect a man that can string together 3 words competently! He speaks well!!! He must be the anti-christ!! Grow up. Gain intelligence, get beyond your partisan bickering. The world will not end, if John McCain had won we would have been fine, he didn't we'll still be fine.

I'm inspired and I'm hopeful, but we still have a long way to go.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

very well spoken my love... i was going to post something similar however you said it much more eloquently and much nicer than i would have. :) i love you.

wendy said...

nothing at all to do with this post, but sarah--if you need any leg work, or eyes open to be on the lookout for something, let me know! i'm off weekends, with not a lot to do...so i can def put that time to use helping out!