21 September, 2008

Fall

Well its fall, or it will be tomorrow.  Time is moving along quickly.  This will be a fairly long and random post/update since its been a while.  We've been in school for about 6 weeks, though it seems a lot longer, and I (jamie) have finally received my first paycheck.  One of the worst part about being a new teacher is that in most districts you have to wait a month to get paid.  For me is was a bout a month and a half of working before I actually got paid.  Now I enjoy my job, love the school and the kids, but there is no way in hell that I would do what I am doing for free.  Way too much stress and way too much time.  So being paid (and being paid what I think is well) was nice.

School is going well, and I feel as though I have learned a lot.  I have learned that teaching without technology is hard,  I have learned that staying one step ahead of your class is sometimes all you can do, I have learned that having no school on Mondays is one of the greatest things that a school district can do for the sanity of its teachers, and I have learned that 8th graders can either be some of the most horrid creatures on God's green earth or some of the most fun.   I really enjoy teaching, its been kinds of surprising, and the district that I am in is really good.  If I need something they get it.  They want me to succeed and have helped in every way that they can to see that I do.  They people that I work with are great, from the principal to the janitors, I feel comfortable.  Football is going well too.  The varsity is 4-0 and should be ranked this week and the JV is 1-0, with a game tomorrow.  I call the offensive plays for the JV and am the line coach for the varsity.  I have decided that coaching is easily the most stressful thing that a man can do.  You have absolutely no control of what happens when the kids get on the field.  All you can do is yell (loudly and frequently) and hope that they hear and remember what they learned in practice.

We're also getting used to the area.  I love it here.  I like the small town, and Colorado.  It's beautiful.  I love driving into the Springs and seeing Pikes Peak the whole way in.  The trees are starting to change too, and they are gorgeous.  I think my favorite part about here though is the weather.  I've had my AC on two days, and it was on because I was sick and wanted it on, not because I need it.  It's nice, especially on the wallet.

To end my funny story of the week, and yes John, I'm stealing this from you.  My last hour of the day I teach Jr. High P.E.  The class is made up of 6th-8th graders who, for one reason or another do not play sports.  Most days the class is similar to herding cats, no order and just trying to keep the kids in line, some days though it is OK.  Last week when we were waiting for the bell to ring I had a child come up to me and say "Coach Stallings!  Look at this"  the child is pointing at both his chin and his upper lip.  I respond "What am I looking at"  student says "I have a pimple!  And I'm growing a mustache!"  at this point I'm trying (hard) not to laugh.  The student then proceeds to say that he is becoming a man (and will be one when the mustache grows in) and that with the pimple he will be able to get the "hot girl" in class (who happens to be standing about three feet away).  What makes this story funny, to me at least, is that the child was dead serious when he said it.  O the joys of P.E.

jamie



2 comments:

johnny a said...

so... Did he get the girl??

And youre lucky youre in another state. Thief.

wendy said...

we miss you guys so much too! It's so hard (as you know) to have all your closest friends going from living under the same roof to living states apart!

When are you guys going to be able to visit this area?