26 September, 2008

Do you know what it means to miss...

I love my job, and I really am loving Simla, and Colorado in general, but I miss the south. Having lived in the south my entire life, and leaving it only rarely, I have taken for granted the oddities that I have come to love. Particularly I miss Baton Rouge and Northwest Arkansas

I think the biggest thing that I miss right now about Baton Rouge is the city itself and the energy. I miss driving by a Raising Cane's, or going to a movie at the mall. I miss the smell of wet in the air all the time, I miss sooo much LSU football. People like football here, the Bronco's are a big deal, but the college game is not cared about as much. I miss the rabidness of LSU fans, and of SEC fans in general. No matter what people say there is no conference like the SEC. What I miss the most about NWA is all my friends. I was incredibly lucky to live with my friends for about 4 years. Not being able to see them everyday, to walk over to one of their rooms to play video games or just to talk, not going out to the porch to drink beer or moulded wine, is something that I find myself missing more and more and more. I have friends here. I like the people I work with, and Sarah is here. But i desperately miss my friends.

While this might sound like a depressing post, its not intended to. It's fall, and I love this season most of all, but it makes me think of home, of family, and of friends. Regardless of all this the job is going well. We have a big test coming up in football tomorrow (I hate playing high school games on Saturday, doesn't make a bit of sense) and we'll see how that goes. My parents are also here which has been nice, we're going to head into town tonight so that should be a lot of fun.

Funny story of the week time. While not as funny as the last one, and a story that is probably lacking in general funnieness. We had a kid at football practice get a head injury the other day. It was a relatively minor one so we weren't too worried but we needed to go through the motions anyway. The first thing we did was ask him to remember the phrase: grapes apples oranges. He did...kinda of. His response when we asked him was "Apples! No, damn!! Grapes, peaches, No damn... Grapes apples oranges, No damn, wait damn That was it huh? The response of the coach was that he was the first person to every possibly get a concussion that didn't have a brain.

Cheers, and long live the south!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello dear friends! I saw a weird incoming link on my blog only to find out it was ya'll. Jamie, I am missing the south too more than I would have guessed. Not that I would trade being here for anything but I miss the damp too and the look of ivy covering the mansions on St. Charles Avenue and the way you can walk the streets any time of night. When are ya'll getting married?

johnny a said...

Do you still get paid if you kill off all your students?
Haha, Saturday games. We just had one on Friday. When they're supposed to be.

wendy said...

God bless the SEC. Amen.