30 March, 2009

stuck in the snow

Since my day as been more eventful than it normally is, I feel it is necessary to tell you about it. So here we go.

Well, first off- you should know that we are back in Colorado. And today is the day that we were taking our puppy, Tonks to get fixed, microchipped, and another round of shots (I know, horrible!) So when I woke up and it was snowing outside I didn't really think twice about leaving for town (we are in Colorado afterall, it snows all the time right?) It was just those pretty snowflakes that gently fall from the sky. Real innocent looking ya know. Real innocent looking.

When it snows, I always drive (you'd rather have the Arkansan driving than the guy from Lousiana after all) so we head off with puppy in tow. I quickly realized that this innocent looking snow was not so innocent after all. It was blowing. BAD. And starting to come down more. I didn't panic though. I could still see at least 40-50 feet in front of me. I made it to the vet without a problem and then we decided to continue our treck into the Springs. THIS my friends is where the problem lies. We were on the road maybe another 5 minutes when I couldn't see. At all. Couldn't see the road. Couldn't see any other cars. Couldn't see. AT ALL. But I keep driving because, well, I can't see where to stop. I managed to make it about halfway to the Springs where we stopped at the post office to mail some things and then headed out again (going back home would have been just as dangerous right?) Well, needless to say we made it fine and this isn't where the humours part lies.

Fastforward a few hours to the vets office where we are picking up our poor puppy. We are leaving and I start backing out and somehow decide that I can make it in my little car through a snow drift that probably comes up to my knees. And this, my friends, is where the fun begins. I got stuck. Can't go forward, can't go backward. And my fiance is asking me what in the world I was thinking trying to go through this drift. All I can manage is a strug. So he gets out to push. And push. And push. Nothing works. So I convince him to go back inside and ask for help. And help comes in the form of a shovel and vet assistant. And they shovel and push and shovel and push. And eventually we got unstuck. But it was exciting. And Jamie has been making fun of me all evening because I thought I could make it through the drift. And I feel slightly stupid (okay, REALLY stupid) but you have to give me credit that I drove in my first blizzard and didn't get us killed or anyone else and getting stuck in a drift isn't THAT horrible. It could have been worse. So don't make too much fun.

2 comments:

Meghann said...

Glad you survived! But it is a pretty funny story :) Good memories.

Unknown said...

see, now what would have made this a perfect lifetime movie is if you had decide which one of you to sacrifice and eat so that the other could have lived.

i really need to get out of the house more.