07 December, 2008

Christmas

It doesn't feel like Christmas.

I've been trying to figure out why this is the last few weeks. We have the Christmas tree up and decorated. Shopping is done and presents are all wrapped and under the tree. We have snow. It's cold. I made Christmas cookies and candy yesterday. All you need right?

Wrong.

I think I've finally figured it out.

1. I've never experienced a Christmas time outside of Arkansas. Ever. In my life.

2. I don't have any of my friends around that I associate Christmas with.

and 3 (here's the big one)

I'm not near my family. And this is the one that I think gets me. I'm so used to being near my family and things that are familiar. As odd as this is one of the things I miss the most is the familiarity of Arkansas. I mean, when we were home for Thanksgiving I knew all the back roads to take and all the fun places to go and I saw more people at the mall that I knew in one day in AR than the whole time in CO. I miss that. I miss being comfortable. And I want it to feel like Christmas.

No comments: